Didn’t get your hands on solar glasses before they sold out everywhere!? No worries, The Lion King crew have you covered with this fun DIY Solar Eclipse Pin Hole Projector and Binoculars Projector printable. We tested it out and it is really easy to make! Even if you aren’t using this for the eclipse, it’s a fun project to allow you to see the sun without harming your eyes.
Disney created this fun printable just in time for the solar eclipse and the release of The Lion King Signature Collection. Out on Digital now and on Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 29. You can get more info about the bonus features and enter to win a copy at the bottom of this post.
First, download the printable from the button above. This has all the directions on it for two projects.
It cut the box for the girls and made sure everything was the right size. You can see the white paper inside the box so that you can clearly see the shape.
Then you can attach the aluminum foil to the outside of the box and poke a tiny hole into it.
If you poke a hole that is too big you will let in too much light and you will lose the shape. Also, the longer your box is, the bigger the projection will be. Here is what it looks like inside the box with the sun shining through. When the eclipse happens, you will see the moon cross over the dot and when it is black, it is safe to look at the sun. Depending on your location, that may only be a brief moment. Either way, you’ll have a box on your head. It will be awesome!
I’m crazy excited about The Lion King Signature Collection because my copy of the movie recently snapped in half and I haven’t replaced it yet. If you aren’t aware, the Signature Collection is the best copy for the mega Disney lovers. It has amazing materials that have never been seen before. Here are some of the features you can look forward to.
- Brand New Sing-Along Version
- Audio Commentary – View the film with commentary by producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
- Visualizing a Villain – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated “Be Prepared” sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil.
- The Recording Sessions – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation. Intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
- Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences.
- Inside the Story Room – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches.
- Circle of Life – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film’s iconic opening.
- Simba & Nala – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen.
- Simba Takes Nala Out to Play – …And, sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film!
- Hakuna Matata – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act and dance their hearts out as they pitch the “Hakuna Matata” sequence.
- Rafiki and Reflecting Pool – Co-directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff pitch a sequence that became the emotional heart of The Lion King to Producer Don Hahn.
- Music & More – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie!
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie’s look and feel.
- Character Design – Trace the development of the film’s unforgettable characters through early concept art drawings.
- Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of “The Lion King.”
- Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created in the development of “The Lion King.”
- Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of “The Lion King.”
- Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals and stage show.
Win The Lion King Signature Collection